Over the last several years, laser hair removal has become increasingly popular particularly with men all around the world. The ideal image of men that is portrayed in today’s media, is far different to how it was just a couple of decades ago.
With the advent of such terms as “Metrosexual” and “Manscaping”, it is no wonder that more and more men these days are looking for effective and permanent laser hair removal solutions for all areas of the body.
1988 Vs Today. How does “Magnum PI’s” Tom Sellek stack up to “Step Up’s Channing Tatum?
Let’s ask – Top 5 reasons men have laser hair removal
We surveyed a group of men that currently attend Victorian Cosmetic Dermal Clinics and this is what we found:
- Their partners do not like excess hair (think back/shoulders/buttocks etc)
- Painful In grown hairs, particularly with the beard area
- Men who are active find their physiques look better without hair
- Saves time. Permanent results instead of regular shaving or waxing
- More confidence especially during summer/beach/events & festivals
It is not just women who want to look great. For men, is it just as important to look and feel their best. Very often, having excess hair on the body is something that gets in the way of men looking and feeling attractive and confident. For these reasons,laser hair removal has become a popular treatment option for men of all ages.
Clients will have different reasons for considering laser hair removal, but whether you are constantly having ingrown hairs as a result of waxing or shaving, razor burn and bumps, or want your physique to look more defined and simply just don’t want hair where you have it, laser hair removal is the best option.
How many treatments will I need?
You will need a course of treatments, usually a minimum of 6-8 treatments that will be every 6-8 weeks apart for body areas and every 4 weeks for the facial area. Only hairs in the growing stage (hairs that are in the anagen phase) can be treated successfully, however not all hairs grow at the same time. For example, at any one given time on our body, only about 20-40% of hair is growing (in anagen phase) the others are either in the transition or resting phase. This is why a course of treatments is required to target all of the hairs as they enter the growing stage.
You will find as you continue with treatments that hair growth will slow down and any hairs that do grow back will be much finer and sparse.
The most popular areas that men have treated is usually the back, shoulders, chest, and abs. Cyclist enthusiasts also prefer to laser their legs rather than shave every few days due to stubble. Male Brazilians are also becoming more popular. In terms of effectiveness, some areas will respond better than others depending on the thickness of the hair and how dark the hairs are. As a general rule, the darker the hair, the better the results.
What Men need to do to prepare for their treatment:
Ensure you do not have any sun exposure at least 6 weeks prior to beginning your course of treatments; this will prevent complications after treatments. Apply sunscreen daily to all exposed areas, even if it’s not a sunny day, as this will allow your therapist to increase the treatment intensity.
Do not wax, pluck or bleach the area. The root of the hair needs to be in tact in order for the laser to travel down the shaft of the hair and destroy it. You can however shave or use hair removal creams as these only remove the hair at the superficial level, and leave the root in tact. If shaving the area, aim to do so no more than 24-48 hours prior to your appointment to avoid stubble regrowth.
If your considering having laser hair removal, especially for facial hair you want to be certain as it is permanent as the hairs will not grow back!
Factors affecting results:
- Due to hormonal changes, Men can experience an increase in chest, back and shoulder hair which can continue well into their 40’s. Increases in hair around the ear and brow area are also very common later in life.
- We can only attempt to destroy hairs that are growing today, not the ones that are yet to appear with age.
- Genetically, some men will naturally have more or less hair than others.
- Certain conditions, or drugs (i.e cancer drugs, anabolic steroids) can affect hair growth, particularly if they significantly raise or affect hormone balance.
Checklist for best results
To ensure you get the safest, and most effective results, Victorian Cosmetic Dermal Clinics has put together a little checklist for you, so you can’t go wrong when choosing laser hair removal!
- Ensure you choose a clinic that uses medical grade laser devices, such as the ‘Candela Gentlelase’ as these are the most effective and proven hair reduction systems.
- Choose a clinic which is Certified by Candela – Meaning the lasers are maintained and calibrated accurately for maximum safety and efficacy.
- Insist on therapists who are Accredited & Laser Safety Certified.
- Free consultation explaining everything you need to know about laser hair removal and outline the total costs and expectations.
- Have a thorough hair and skin type assessment.
- Choose a clinic which has correct laser practice and hygiene standards.
- Tailored treatments and packages to suit you.
- Be consistent with your treatments (you will be advised by your therapist when you should have your next treatment).
- Complete the full course of recommended treatments.
If you are interested in how we can help you, get in touch for a consultation with one of our experts.