Skin needling – also known as Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) – is a minimally invasive procedure that has grown in popularity due to its effectiveness and dramatic results. Skin needling treatment uses a medical-grade micro needling device (we use Dermapen™) with microscopic, motorised needles to create thousands of tiny, evenly spaced punctures into the skin.
Skin needling uses the body’s natural healing response to overcompensate and produce more collagen, resulting in rapid healing and regeneration of damaged skin. Skin needling is a safe and effective treatment for retaining youth and treating acne scars and surgery scars, wrinkles and stretch marks. It can be used safely and effectively on areas of the body such as the face, neck, abdomen and chest.
How Does Skin Needling Work?
At Victorian Cosmetic Dermal Clinics we utilise the Dermapen™ which can penetrate your skin by up to 2.0 mm. This device is used to ‘wound’ your skin at a micro-level to kick-start its healing mechanisms and stimulate the production of collagen. Collagen Induction Therapy also increases cell renewal resulting in a fresher, brighter, and more youthful appearance.
Who Is Skin Needling Best For?
Because of the non-invasive nature of skin needling, it is an ideal treatment option for people of all lifestyles and needs. Skin needling may be of even more benefit if you are someone who suffers from any of the following skin conditions:
- Pigmentation and Melasma
- Wrinkles and Fine Lines
- Acne Scarring
- Sun Damage
Is Skin Needling Right For Me?
Generally, skin needling is a safe treatment option for the majority of people. Each person’s skin is different, which is why we always recommend booking a consultation before treatment to determine suitability. One of our highly experienced therapists at VC Dermal Clinics Melbourne will be able to tailor a treatment that is specific to your skin goals.
Skin needling can help to:
- Reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles;
- Reduce the appearance of stretch marks and/or scar tissue;
- Fix uneven skin tone; and
- Naturally improve your skin’s collagen production.
Is Skin Needling Painful?
You will be happy to learn that skin needling is a virtually painless procedure. Our experienced therapists are trained to make your session as pain-free and comfortable as possible. Many of our patients describe the feeling as a warm, scratching feeling as the Dermapen™ tool is moved around the face.
Skin Needling Benefits
Here are just a few of the many benefits that skin needling can offer:
- Minimise the appearance of acne scarring, surgical scarring, thermal burns, chicken-pox and more.
- Insufficient collagen and elastin leads to fine lines and wrinkles. Skin needling encourages your skin to create new collagen and elastin to help the skin maintain its proper structure while also giving it greater flexibility.
- There is a reduced risk of hyperpigmentation and scarring with skin needling compared to more other invasive procedures. This makes it ideal for both light and ethnic/darker skin.
- Skin needling treatment can be performed quickly and has minimal down time. Patients can resume regular activities within a few days, depending on the depth of penetration of the needles.
How Long Does It Take To See Results?
The results of skin needling can be noticed almost instantly. Your skin will begin collagen production immediately after treatment (maximum production around day 2-3) which will plump your skin, fill in fine lines and tighten pores.
After this, it will take around 4 weeks to be able to see the full results of treatment.
How Can I Improve My Skin Needling Results?
Although the skin needling procedure gives a more than enough boost to your skin, there are some other things you can do to ensure that you end up with the results possible.
- Consume more Vitamin A or Vitamin C to boost collagen and keep you at optimum health. We recommend eating a wholefood diet rich in fruit and vegetables and supplementing if necessary. Find out more about the benefits of Vitamin C for your skin.
- After treatment, avoid direct sun exposure. Your skin will be more sensitive as it is healing, making it important that you stay out of the sun.
- Avoid exercise or activities that make you sweat for at least 48 hours after treatment. Strenuous activity may heat up the skin and allow bacteria to penetrate which may lead to infection.
Want to find out more about skin needling? Simply head on over to our Skin Needling FAQ page. Alternatively, do not hesitate to contact us for more information or to book a consultation with one of our experienced therapists.
Yours in Beauty,